Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What do you call a group of cormorants?

A clutch of cormorants on Swan Lake...

What do you call a group of cormorants? Google tells me that a group of cormorants is known as a 'gulp'.

However, I'm going to call it a 'clutch' because I like the alliteration. It's a clutch of cormorants.

The Swan Lake cormorants are not permanent residents. They seem to appear for a few weeks in the spring before disappearing for the rest of the year. I assume that it has something to do with laying eggs, possibly somewhere where gulls and eagles aren't a threat, but I'm no expert.

Notice the one nearest to me giving me the stink eye...

No comments:

Post a Comment